Thursday, November 24, 2011

'Drive' Soundtrack featrues neo-electro artists!


Here is some big news regarding some of our favorite neo-electro acts, and the underground electro movement as whole.

Songs by Kavinsky, Electric Youth and College were featured in a major Hollywood movie called Drive and were included on the soundtrack too!

Drive is a 2011 thriller that was released this past September, directed by Nicholas Winding Refn and starring Ryan Gosling as a stunt car driver by day and getaway driver by night.

Shame on me, but I haven't actually seen the film yet. I vaguely remember hearing about the film, then forgot about it and wouldn't have remembered it until a friend recently mentioned he saw it the other day, and then I saw an advertisement for it on the Valerie Collective website. Since they have few ads otherwise, the ad for Drive stood out and I immediately wondered if there was any direct connection to Valerie Collective. Sure enough upon further investigation I discovered that several Valerie Collective artists had songs used in the film and were featured on a soundtrack.

This is huge. What was only just a few years ago an independent, internet-oriented electronic music movement has now moved to the big leagues. Who knows how this well effect those artists, the Valerie Collective label, and the future of the movement. Heck, at this pace, other very talented and deserving artists like Michael Cassette and Anoraak should be electronic superstars. But then that would probably change them for the worse - hence the conundrum here. At the very least, some moderate sales and exposure are a great thing. I'm rooting for them.

I'll definitely have more to say when I experience both the film and the soundtrack, but since I know little else I'll leave this at that but encourage people to get the DVD when it comes out and buy the soundtrack! Knowing these artists, you will not be disappointed. The movie? I have a feeling there could be worse ways to spend two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment