Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Catching Up With Miami Nights '84


Miami Nights 1984 is the stage name for Canadian Michael Glover, whose obsession with the synthesizer led him to start Rosso Corsa records, a huge pusher of this great stuff. I had no idea MN84 started that label and am doubly impressed with his profile now.

His first project was called Actrazer, which I've never heard of but will definitely check out now. His second project is  Miami Nights 1984, no doubt taking inspiration from all things Miami Vice. Miami Nights is characterized by big disco beats, huge washes of synths and melodic leads.

His first album was the appropriately titled Early Summer released in 2011.


The standout track for me is "Elevator of Love"; even MN84 himself cites this as one of his favorites. He nails a memorable synth melody right away, although he hesitates to fully flourish it. He definitely needs to revisit this song and give it the full extended treatment it deserves. Buy it here. I bought it on itunes years ago I was dying to hear it so bad.


Fortunately he has just followed up that album with a new one released this past March 2012 called Turbulence. It's even better than his first album and has become one of my top neo electro albums yet. I absolutely love "Clutch" and "Ocean Drive". MN84 has expanded his palette to include jittery Tangerine Dream-esque sequencers, orchestral clashes, and sharp drum patterns that give the album an ever so slightly more modern edge. He aces the feeling of pure hi-tech speed and adrenaline with "Clutch". When I play the song while driving my little Honda Civic practically transforms into an Lamborghini Countach. Not really, but almost. I also like the amazing melancholic ending synth coda, which comes way too late, but still good nevertheless. Buy it here.


MN '84 also had a brush with a different kind of fame when he officially remixed Gotye's excellent Sting-soundalike "Somebody That I Used To Know."

Here's hoping the future brings more music from this excellent artist and that he continues to oversee Rosso Corsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment