Sunday, December 4, 2011

New on the Radar: Kolour Kult + Live Performence Review


The Kolour Kult are a two-man synth-pop act based in my capital city of Providence, Rhode Island. Consisting of Martin Van Etten on keys and guitar and Jack "Prime" Wilmarth on vocals, their music is a loving ode to New Romantics, Pet Shop Boys and Italo Disco - but with a special homage to eccentric British electronic superstars of the '80s. After all, we can thank England for more than a fair share of memorable music during the Reagan-Thatcher era.


I was fortunate enough to catch Kolour Kult perform live Saturday night, without knowing what I was getting into. My friend Megan and I were hanging out when she mentioned there was some "party at Legend Bicycle with music". I asked what kind of music, leery I'd be trapped listening to folk rock for several hours, but she responded, somewhat unsure herself, with "dance music?". It took a few minutes later for me to decide I wanted to go.

Inside, the party was just getting started. Megan and I awaited the start of some music act, their equipment tucked cozily in the corner of the dark shop amid hanging wheels, lounge chairs, neon signs and assorted bike gear.

When vocalist Jack Prime took the center of attention, I immediately recognized him as someone I had seen before at a party over the summer, but knew nothing about; I didn't even remember what his speaking voice sounded like. Jack has this great, highly expressive, Sean Penn-like face, with a small mouth and intense eyes framed by a prominent chin and parted close-cropped school-boy haircut. He's distinctive looking but you can't pigeonhole him right away. However, I will now forever identify him as one thing and one thing only: a master entertainer.

Kolour Kult started the night by delving into this amazing, highly danceable synth-pop concoction that I swore was a Pet Shop Boys cover but which later turned out to be a rendition of their own original, "Sentimentality Fails". It was a bizarre, almost surreal experience seeing Kolour Kult perform. They had the same gusto you only see in music videos on youtube. I really never thought I would ever see anything like this in my lifetime.

Martin behind all the gear was a typical chilled-out '80s keyboarder like Tony Banks, Vince Clarke and Chris Lowe; all heart, mind and soul plugged into the machinery and focused on delivering the electronic goods. The keyboards and drum machine patterns were sharp, unabashedly retro and really professional sounding.

Jack's impassioned delivery, which included standing on chairs, kneeling on the floor, looking into the heavens, squinting his eyes and flirting with female onlookers, really nailed everything home. There was zero awkwardness or hesitation. Jack and Martin were true performers. I was blown away at the whole, complete, thoroughly convincing package. The thought and effort and talent is very evident.

Kolour Kult also performed two covers and they were exceptional as well. The first was a brilliant slow-tempo, guitar-led, almost Prince-esque R&B version of The Outfield's 1985 hit "Your Love". It was totally unexpected, believe it or not, because it's a rock song and they are more dance, but I was deeply moved by it. The second cover and last song of their set was a rendition of The Human League's "Don't You Want Me", including a duet with Liz Isenberg filling in the female verses.

Then they ended. Jack was down to just a t-shirt, having stripped his jacket, tie and button shirt during the performance (a moment of hilarity ensued when he tried to hand the crowd his clothes but the cuff buttons were preventing a complete transfer so I nudged Megan to un-button it and liberate him. She did so dutifully and he later thanked her).

I immediately shook Jack's hand vigorously and asked if they were on the web to which he replied yes. "I've loved synth-pop all my life," I blurted out, confessing my addiction. "So have we," he replied, nodding his head in natural approval.

So there you have it - a love of synth-pop so strong it has motivated two talented musicians to perform their own fresh material - and do it in a very audience-friendly, charismatic way.

It doesn't end there, either. The Kolour Kult are out with a new 5-track EP available for free on their bandcamp page. Click here to get this excellent debut.



I never thought Providence would have a synth-pop act to call their own. But now they do, the act happens to be excellent, and I'm proud of them. I wholeheartedly support any enterprise that revives this wonderful genre. Thanks guys, and I look forward to more.

No comments:

Post a Comment